Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Cliburn Competition - View from Here - Part 2

No doubt the reviewer for the Dallas Morning News had it about right in observing that "The third day of the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition provided some of the best playing so far, and some of the worst. " Underscore the word "worst". That sentiment can be extended.
I don't think I've heard so many sloppy performances and a willingness to throw caution to the wind. And what's more, is it just me or does it not seem that some of the competitors this time around are laying it on just a little thick with the annoying facial expressions and excessive gestures?

So far here's who I like and think merit advancing because of the level of musicianship displayed:

Beus, Yang, Urasin, Cabassi, Kobrin, Lee, An, Maryia Kim, Andaloro, Zlabys, and Plano.

Of these, I'd not be surprised to see Beus, Cabassi, and Kobrin make it to the finals.

We'll have to see what the judges think...

No comments: