Tuesday, December 08, 2009

New gould Film

I've not seen it yet, but this does look interesting.
Genius Within finds many witnesses to Gould's offbeat personality -- his inner life -- and illustrates them with intriguing footage of the man himself. The result is a portrait both well-trod and new of a visionary musician whose torments were both real and manufactured. As Kingwell says, he was only at home when he was playing music.

link

Equally of interest is an interview with Christopher Foss:

Mr. Foss, now 52, was 9 at the time his mother left his father, the famous pianist and composer Lukas Foss. Ms. Foss moved to Toronto with her two children in 1968 and stayed for almost five years to be with Mr. Gould before returning to her husband.
 Read the rest here.

1 comment:

Teaching yourself piano said...

I had not heard of this. I've seen the 32 shorts documentary and enjoyed it very much. Goody! Now I've got a new film about this fascinating man to add to my "to watch list".